Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Making Jennifer Happy

Ha! Jenn has been asking me to post a few recipes for awhile. Today I had a friend request my pizza dough recipe so I had to type it up for her and thought I would just copy it over here to my blog. My highly unused unread blog but oh well! This is a really yummy homemade pizza crust recipe. I got it online somewhere... I use allrecipes.com frequently so that may be where I picked it up. I know I googled whole wheat pizza crusts.... ANYWAY! Here it is:

1 1/4 cups warm water (110-115degrees)
1 (1/4 oz) package dry yeast (I have used different kinds and they have all worked)
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups whole wheat flour

Dissolve yeast in the warm water. Mix in the honey and salt. Then stir (by hand or with a dough hook) in the all purpose flour followed by the olive oil. Lastly, use the dough hook on your mixer to combine this with the whole wheat flour. Adjust the water and flour as needed to make a nice ball of dough. It won't be too sticky if it has enough flour in it. The dough should all combine into one ball when you are using a dough hook. When combined, remove from the mixer and kneed the dough for a minute or two (you can add more flour at this point if the dough is too sticky). Then place in a bowl, cover and let the dough rise for an hour or until it has doubled in size. Punch the dough down and let it rise for another 45 mins. Separate the dough into two equally sized pieces and make your crust any shape or size that you want. The rolling pin is very useful at this point. I use a pizza stone to bake mine... I put some corn meal on the stone before I put the crust on so it doesn't stick. I bake the pizza at 425degrees for around 12-15 minutes.
If you have a bread machine then just put all of the ingredients in and set it to the pizza dough setting. It will do the rest for you!

Another recipe Jen has been begging for is one that I inherited from my lovely sister, Liz. This one has been used for many different things. It is generally a shrimp sauce but could be used for chicken or as a topper for rice. It is a big spicy but delicious nonetheless!

"Shrimp" Sauce
1/3 stick of butter
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Garlic Cloves
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp black pepper
4 tsp Worcestershire
1 Tbsp Lemon juice

Mix all ingredients in sauce pan. Cook over medium heat until bubbling, then reduce heat to low. Pour some sauce over shrimp before cooking (grill, saute, whatever) and save some for dipping. YUM

Go check out Jenn and Dave's site, it's great! They have two adorable pups and were the best neighbors we could ever ask for. (I wish they would move to LR so we could be neighbors again)


1 comment:

  1. I am waaaay behind on reading my friends' blogs!

    These are two of my FAVORITE recipes!!! I get compliments every time I make your pizza crust or your/Liz's shrimp sauce. Seriously, everyone loves them. I'm glad you finally decided to share them with the world. :-)

    So, now you want US to move to Little Rock? What happened to YOU GUYS moving back to Fayetteville? :-)

    ReplyDelete